This Towing Capacity Calculator is easy to use and will save you a lot of time and frustration. Simply enter your tow vehicle specs along with your RV, camper or travel trailer’s specs into the designated fields. It will do all of the calculations for you.
If you haven’t read the post below, and are unfamiliar with towing capacity and weight ratings (GVWR, GCWR, GTW etc.), I highly recommend you read it before using the Tow Check Calculator. Just click on the photo below to check that out first.
Towing Capacity Calculator Tips
- You will only edit the fields in orange. The other fields will automatically populate based on the numbers you enter in those fields.
- If you make a mistake, and would like to reset the calculator, just refresh the page.
- When calculating loaded tongue weight, enter 10%-15% if you are towing a travel trailer. If you are towing a fifth wheel, the percentage needs to be a minimum of 15%-25%.
- The fields highlighted in blue will be in parenthesis if you are over the maximum weight ratings. You will need to remove some of the added weight from your tow vehicle and/or your trailer. If that is not possible, you will need to look at a different tow vehicle/trailer combination.
- Under the “Trailer, Options, Cargo Accessories” section, do not enter your freshwater, black and grey tank capacities here. You will only enter the estimated number of gallons of liquids you will have in your tanks while traveling. If your tanks will be completely empty (recommended), you will enter “0” in the fields highlighted in orange. The same applies to the hot water heater. Most hot water heaters are 6-10 gallons. If you are unsure, just enter 8 gallons. Unless of course your hot water heater will be empty, then you will enter “0.”
FREE Towing Capacity Worksheet
You can also download my free Towing Capacity Worksheet here. The worksheet is a printable PDF, so you can write down and save all of your calculations for later review. Or, if you would just rather do it by hand, this will be helpful as well.
This tow check worksheet is also extremely helpful if you are out shopping for tow vehicles and want to document the weight ratings and towing capacity of each vehicle you are considering. Some of the ratings that are located directly on the vehicle are very difficult to obtain online. Writing them down while you are there, will save you a lot of headache later on. Just print a stack of these, and use a different worksheet for each vehicle. You will be glad you took the time to do this.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email.
Be sure to subscribe to receive all of my upcoming posts. You can also follow me on Pinterest and pin this Towing Capacity Calculator for later reference!
See you again soon,